About Dr. Lemmens
Dr. Lemmens performs obesity surgery since 1982. In the first years the most popular procedures at that time were done: intestinal bypass, vertical banded gastroplasty, adjustable gastric banding and more than 2.200 biliopancreatic diversions (Scopinaro procedure).
He started the laparoscopic gastric bypass in 2002. Since 2008 the laparoscopic banded gastric bypass was the bariatric procedure of choice.
Since 2012 the banded sleeve gastrectomy and a few years later the one anastomosis gastric bypass (OAGB, also called the mini- or omega gastric bypass) are more frequently performed. In 2017 the banded sleeve gastrectomy is the most frequently performed bariatric operation in his service.
He presented papers on BPD, BANDED GASTRIC BYPASS and BANDED SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY on most of the International Symposia and congresses of the IFSO.
Since September 2011 we became the 1st recognised Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery (COE-BS) in Europe, endorsed by the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Diseases (IFSO).
Publications in the international magazine for OBESITY SURGERY
Banded Gastric Bypass: Better Long-Term Results? A Cohort Study with Minimum 5-Year Follow-Up. Obes Surg. (2017) 27:864-872. Lemmens L.
Banded gastric bypass – four years follow up in a prospective multicenter analysis.
BMC Surg. 2014; 14: 88. Published online 2014 Nov 12. doi: 10.1186/1471-2482-14-88
PMCID: PMC4236457. Luc Lemmens, W Konrad Karcz, Waleed Bukhari, Jodok Fink, and Simon Kuesters
Banded Sleeve Gastrectomy: Better Long-Term Results? A Long-Term Cohort Study Until 5 Years Follow-Up in Obese and Superobese Patients. First Online: 18 April 2018. Luc Lemmens, Jelmer Van Den Bossche, Hinali Zaveri, Amit Surve
Memberships to Professional Organizations
- Founding member (1996) of the Benelux Association of Bariatric Surgeons (BABS) Treasurer of the BABS.
- Founding member (2006) of the Belgian Section for Obesity and Metabolic Surgery (BeSOMS) Treasurer of the BeSOMS.
- Was Board Member of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO)
- President (2008 – 2010) of the European Chapter of IFSO
- President of the 6th IFSO-EC congress in Brussels in 2014
- Member of the Royal Belgian Society for Surgery
- Banded Gastric Bypass: Better Long-Term Results? A Cohort Study with Minimum 5-Year Follow-Up. Obes Surg. Published on line: 07 October 2016. Lemmens L.
- Banded gastric bypass – four years follow up in a prospective multicenter analysis.
- BMC Surg. 2014; 14: 88. Published online 2014 Nov 12. doi: 10.1186/1471-2482-14-88
- PMCID: PMC4236457. Luc Lemmens, W Konrad Karcz, Waleed Bukhari, Jodok Fink, and Simon Kuesters